Friday, May 25, 2007

Saints

There are many things that are different living here in Brazil.
One of the thigns that I am most amazed about is actually the importance of catholic saints.

I never knew that the saints were so imporant as they are to the Brazilian people. Call me ignorant or what you want but I didn't know. There is a saint for everything. Do you need help with family problems, there is a saint to help you. Same thing if you have financial problems, ask your saint for help.
I don't remember the actual saints but I have seen various people talking about this on TV.

Nossa Senhora Aparecida
is the most famous saint in Brazil I think. She is everywhere.

From Wikipeida:
Our Lady of Aparecida (also written as Our Lady Aparecida) is the Patron Saint of Brazil., represented by a statue of the Virgin Mary located in the Basilica of Aparecida, in the city of Aparecida in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. In Portuguese the name is Nossa Senhora de Conceição Aparecida (Our Lady of the Conception who Appeared).

There is a school not far from here that carries her name. In the beginning I didn't know what it was, now I've learned. It feels nice to know that there are saints watching over us, protecting us.
(Not forgetting our Lord)

Related Posts

Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

5 comments:

Suzel O'Donnell said...

Linda, I need to tell you that Saint is something from Catholic Church. You know that I am a Cristian, and my faith is based in the Bible, that is God's Word.
In Leviticus, Chapter 26:1

THE LORD SAI,"DO NOT MAKE IDOLS OR SET UP STATUES, STONE PILLARS, OR CARVED STONES TO WORSHIP. I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD. KEEP THE RELIGIOUS FESTIVALS AND HONOR THE PLACE WHERE I AM WORSHIP. I AM THE LORD."

THIS IS A BLESSING OF OBEDIENCE

Saints were people as we are. They lived in the past, were good, and had a Saint life. But all of them lived and died, if you go to their tumbs you stil can find their bones....

Jesus is the only one to be worship, because He is still alive. He is the son of God.

So, we are not supposed to worship people or saints, but only God.

If you visit any other church in Londrina, that is not a catholic one, you are going to realise that there is no Saint imagens in. Because this is against God's Word.

Linda...Av Celso Garcia Cid... tem uma igreja muito grande chamada...ESPACO ESPERANCA...I think is is on Tuesdays or Wednesdays at 2:30 in the afternoon...There is a beautiful service...

Please, please, please....visit them...or call them to get the rigth time for the service.

Still in Leviticus 26

"IF YOU L IVE ACCORDING TO MY LAWS AND OBEY MY COMMANDS,I WILL SEND YOU RAIN AT THE RIGHT TIME, SO THAT THE LAND WILL PRODUCE CROPS WILL BE SO PLENTIFUL THAT YOU WILL STILL BE HARVESTING GRAIN WHEN IT IS TIME TO PICK GRAPES, AND YOU WANT TO EAT, AN YU CAN LIVE IN SAFETY IN YOUR LAND."

Do you still have Will's Bible in your native language?

I love you...with all my heart...

Take Care....

Suzel O'Donnell said...

Fazendo referência à Deuteronômio 4:2 e 12:8, “Não fareis tudo o que bem parece aos seus olhos para o Senhor teu Deus, mas o que o Senhor teu Deus te ordenou; não acrescentareis nada; nem diminuireis dela”.

Suzel O'Donnell said...

Leia tambem

Exodus 20:4 (Exodo)

Deuteronomy 27:15 (Deuteronomio)

de uma olhada no site...

http://paginas.terra.com.br/lazer/dag/estudos/religiao_origem_das_igrejas_catolicas..html

Linda said...

Suz, I know, thank you for the information. I haven't got a bible in Swedish unfortunately, nor in English. I am getting one though.
I will check out the service Esperança.

Obrigada querida! beijus!

Mayogi said...

Suz, no offense but we don´t worship the saints in the catholic church. You´re right, they were normal people, just like you and me but they did something special and so they are now considered angels with special powers. Just like you ask your neighbour for a cup of suggar when you´ve run out of it, you can ask a saint for his/her prayers before God so God will help you. Of cause you can do that on your own, ask for God´s help, but things normally get easier with a little help from your friends, don´t they? :-)

 

Design by Linda of Ekko Web Solutions
Clicking on any links on this blog may result in the blog author being paid. If in doubts please ask.