Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Do you homeschool?

My son is at home from nursery today and I started to think about homeschooling. I really admire moms who are able to do this in a good way that really benefits their children. Homeschooling is not for everyone, even if we wish it was.

I have actually never heard of anyone who homeschools here in Brazil. I have thought that I will try and do some homeschooling when my son starts school. I think it is important that he learns in Swedish as well. I just hope I can teach him what he needs to know.

These days when we are at home just the two of us I really try to only speak Swedish with my son and right now he is watching a Swedish film. I am doing some light cleaning today, dusting off our unused wine racks in the kitchen which is something that should be done more often. After that I will go and do some drawing with my son. It is raining today so we can't go out either otherwise we could have gone for a nice walk.

Do you homeschool? Feel free to share your best resources for homeschooling- I could use some ideas!

Related Posts

Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have homeschooled both from the US and abroad through a homeschool academy called Bridgeway Academy. I would assume they can work with you in Brazil as well.

For us it was a big help to have someone else keep track of what we should be doing and to have someone I could call or e-mail for help throughout the year.

Right now we are in the US and can attend Bridgeway's graduation for my youngest. This will be our first time attending the ceremony and we can't wait.

I have never regretted my decision to homeschool. I know my kids learned so much more than they would have in school and the rewards of teaching your child to read and to succeed are impossible to describe!

Hélène said...

My son is three and I plan on homeschooling him. Both my husband and I were at least partly homeschooled. If you are unsure where to begin, then look around at different homeschool programs, like anon. suggested. Most of them are will willing to work with you if you want some aspect of the education customized. For example, if you use an American program, then they would have the student doing English grammar. You could change that to Portuguese or Swedish grammar if you wanted. You could also do a unit on Swedish history or literature or similar things. If you homeschool for a while, it will become easier to design your own curriculum to the tastes and learning styles of your son.

Brenda said...

We homeschooled for 7 years and only quit because of severe family circumstances. DO IT. It is the best thing and there are plenty of online resources to help you abroad. Definitely google international homeschooling. Also, www.hslda.org.
Do it, you will not regret it!

 

Design by Linda of Ekko Web Solutions
Clicking on any links on this blog may result in the blog author being paid. If in doubts please ask.