Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The friend trap

I have fallen into the friend trap yet once again; the trap of charging less than I should for something because it is for someone I know. And it makes me so angry!

I agreed to do something for someone and now it is costing me valuable time and I am not even enjoying it that much. And I am earning close to nothing. Really!

While I could look at it like "well at least I am getting something" my mind tells me; "well you could use the time to find someone who will pay you much more than that"

How to get out of the friend trap

I'm still trying to figure this one out myself but as I see it there are two thing that can be done: tell your friend you need to charge more, you are a professional after all and need the money. Or simply let go of it and try and find something else that pays better. It's about valuing yourself.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation similar to this one? How did you get out of it?

*Funnily enough I just received an email saying: "How much do you charge" from Ed Gandia at The Profitable Freelancer. Is that a sign?? *lol*

Related Posts

Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

3 comments:

tv bracket said...

I have feel into the friend trap myself plenty of times. It isn't the lowered prices that always gets me. It is that they end up being twice as much hassle and work than a regular job and they do not seem to appreciate you are giving them a break on the cost.

Gaida said...

Unfortunately it also happens with 'family' who also expect a special deal.

When doing favours like this for friends it can often damage your relationship. You really have to treat it as a business.... you have costs to cover.

Pearl Jewellery said...

I think saving money is quite difficult. I am not wasting my money but with prices rising every day on everything it is difficult to save

 

Design by Linda of Ekko Web Solutions
Clicking on any links on this blog may result in the blog author being paid. If in doubts please ask.