Thursday, August 14, 2008

Understanding your limits

What are the limits for what we can do in our professional life? Depending on what you do there are certain things that will limit you unless you constantly try to move forward and learn more.

So what do you do when you hit the wall and say to yourself " I can't do this anymore, I don't know how to do this"?

I've had a few moments like that lately during this long project that took up at least 3 times more time than it was supposed to. I had days when I said that unless I fix this I will just refund the money and tell my client to go to another designer. A horrible thought and of course not anything I wanted to do. I was stuck with this project day and night, it was constantly in my mind and I didn't know how to move forward because every time I though I had solved one problem another one came up. Until one day when I finally realized that I had limits. There are limits to what I can do sometimes, it doesn't mean I'm not good or that I can't solve it but sometimes it is just not what I am able to do this very moment.

When I understood that there was nothing I could do about it I stopped agonizing over it and just accepted facts. And the next day I continued where I had left off. What I didn't do was stop trying.

I think that is very important, to never give up. Did I want to give up? Yes it would have been very easy to just throw the computer out the window and say bye bye to the project but it wasn't really an option. I had committed myself to the project and I was determined to finish it. Which shows another type of quality, I might have been lacking some skills that very moment but my determination shows something else. It shows that I will not give in until I have tried everything possible.

Accepting defeat is hard but sometimes necessary, the only thing we can do to avoid this happening is to improve our skills. Did I learn a lot during this project, oh yes! Would I want to be without what I learned? No! It might have been a long learning curve and a bit too complicated and long but it was all worth it in the end.

What do you do when you have reached your limits?

Related Posts

Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

 

Design by Linda of Ekko Web Solutions
Clicking on any links on this blog may result in the blog author being paid. If in doubts please ask.